Friday 26 February 2010

Week 22: Yet another emotional rollercoaster ride

It has been a crazy 7 days.

On Sunday we went to Penang for a couple of days and I found that all that walking plus being in the hot sun really tired me out. My ankles swelled and became painful at the end of the day. But I enjoyed the daily swims in the warm pool and I'm hoping to continue swimming in the UK.

I had a real craving for Japanese food so on our last night in Malaysia we went to a Japanese restaurant in the hotel and I ordered this HUGE dinner set. I gave my sashimi to R and I tucked into the hot nabe, steamed egg and tempura. I was so gastronomically satisfied at the end of the meal!

Before we left, my aunt brought me a box of bird's nest and a ceramic pot. According to her, taking this expensive delicacy will give Bean a beautiful fair complexion. She told me, "Just take as much as you want, if you don't have enough, let us know and we will DHL it over." Goodness, I was so overwhelmed by her kindness and generousity!

We got back to the UK on Wednesday evening and found that my mother-in-law's health had deteriorated suddenly. She slipped into a coma and passed away on Saturday morning. Dealing with this on top of the jet-lag is very difficult, and I am trying so hard take control of my emotions so I don't stress the baby. But sometimes this is easier said than done.

On Friday I went to see the midwife to get my Maternity Certificate for the employer (to claim maternity pay) and got to hear Bean's heartbeat (142 bpm). My uterus is now 1.5 inches above my belly button and my fundal height is 23 cm. Although I am not very big, it already is difficult to carry around the bump. My skin gets so tight and I can feel my belly weighing me down as I walk.

At this stage, Bean weighs around 430g, has developed a sense of touch and taste. He may be able to detect strong flavours in the amniotic fluid, which probably explains why Bean was somersaulting like crazy when I had my Assam Laksa in Penang.

I feel tired, sleep-deprived, emotional, overwhelmed and totally not up for going back to work tomorrow.

Things often all happen at once, don't they?

No comments: