Friday 13 November 2009

Week 7: A rollercoaster ride



I phoned the clinic on Monday to make an appointment to see my GP. She needs to induce my period as it's now been two weeks and my boobs are so painfully tender. This has to end! But later that night out of curiosity I read up on early pregnancy symptoms. They include: tender breasts, late period, nausea, fatigue, frequent need to urinate etc. I have some of these symptoms so could I be pregnant?! Surely...not?

On Tuesday I couldn't wait any longer. I popped into the pharmacy before work to get a box of two pregnancy test strips. I wee-ed on one in the toilet in the office, and saw with my eyes literally popping out, the two pink lines developing, indicating I am pregnant. I hyper-ventilated in the toilet as I looked and looked at the pink lines again and again. I paced around the small confined space, thinking, oh my god, oh my god, what am I going to do now?!

Later that evening when I got home I wee-ed on the other stick and R and I watched the pink lines appear, again. (Mommy, I'm here!) Two pregnancy tests can't be wrong. But why am I cramping and spotting? Is there something wrong?

My GP booked me for a transvaginal ultrasound right away when she heard about the pain and the discharge. I'm told that pregnant women don't usually get scanned this early unless there is suspicion that something is wrong. R and I prepared ourselves for the possibility that little "Bean" as I've affectionately named him, could be no more.

The nurses at the Early Pregnancy Assessment Unit were very nice and I had my scan very promptly. Once the nurse saw Bean on the monitor, she turned it around for me to have a look. "You can see it here. That's the heart beating," she pointed to a white blinking spot. I went, "Aww.." and started tearing. There is a living thing growing in me! My baby!

No comments: