Sunday 29 November 2009

Week 9: Fierce Daddy and Repulsive Smells


I am developing a belly already. No it's not my normal blubber around the tummy. I can actually feel my womb area tighten as it stretches over time. My uterus is now allegedly the size of a grapefruit and Bean is as big as a raspberry!

I have been having trouble sleeping. My back aches and no matter how I turn I can't seem to get comfortable. Last week, cramps in my uterus kept me awake so I told R about it. He lifted my t-shirt and whispered to my belly, "Please be good and let Mummy sleep or I'll spank you when you come out." Shortly after that the pain miraculously went and I fell asleep.

On another occasion I complained to R that I wasn't getting enough sleep because I was going to the toilet three to four times a night. He asked Bean very nicely, to "Please don't keep Mummy awake, she needs to go to work tomorrow, and she's trying to help you grow." That night I slept all the way through. Which leads me to conclude that, Bean is afraid of his father, and bullies his mother!

I notice I keep referring to Bean as "he" and I don't know why. From the moment I found out I am pregnant, I have been getting this feeling that it's a boy. And a boy with a real appreciation for Asian food too.

I have been raiding my cupboard for the different sauces I've collected during my various trips home and they are depleting at an astonishing rate. I have had Ma Po Tou Fu, Braised Chicken, Mushroom and Potato, Nyonya Sambal Prawns and Garlic Chilli Vegetables.

I was never a big meat person but I find myself eating and craving a lot more meat as I find the smell of some fish extremely repulsive. Poor R had to brush his teeth after eating some mackerel the other night. I was normally an orange juice lover but now I only want clear apple juice. I also feel I am alot more emotional. I cried twice last week over some small setbacks and for once I actually felt I couldn't stop wailing!

This week's major developments include:
  • I went to the clinic to do a blood test to check my thyroid levels as I know women need to increase their dosage of their medication when they are pregnant. My results are still satisfactory, although it has shown a dip and that means I will need to up my medication sometime soon after another blood test in 6 weeks.
  • The midwife came to see us on Sunday and told us Bean's estimated due date is 28 June 2010. She's also booked me in for my 12-week scan and a series of blood tests.
  • I met my Finnish friend, K, for lunch last week and found out to my delight is she pregnant too! She is five months now and we have arranged to go maternity clothes shopping together!

No comments: