Sunday 9 May 2010

Week 32: Growth spurt!

We went to see the midwife on Friday for the routine check-up and she said, "Oh my, you've definitely had a growth spurt!" Really? I thought. I don't feel I have grown that much. But still, I've posted some pictures so you can be the judge.

I have put on another kilogram, so that means I my total pregnancy weight gain so far is 6 kg. My uterus has definitely grown. A month ago my fundal height (length from top of uterus to top of pubic bone) was 28cm and it is now 31.5cm.

There was a male paramedic in the clinic who was doing some training with the midwife since they sometimes have to deliver babies. The midwife asked if it was okay for him to feel my bump and I said yes. So they prodded my belly and the midwife said Bean's head was down below although he hasn't yet engaged (that means the widest part of his head hasn't yet moved into the pelvis). Apparently once that happens, I will feel a sense of relief around my lungs and stomach but increased pressure in my bladder.

Everything else seems fine during the check-up but since I am now very close to giving birth, I will be seeing the midwife every 2 weeks.

I'm pretty proud of ourselves this week because we have been very productive around the house. On Thursday we went to IKEA (yes again, please god let this be the last time!) to pick up another six items of furniture. We put them all of these together within three days and have also gotten a proper dining table set, organised someone to do the wallpapering in the dining room and a builder to re-do the paving in the garden. Even though we are accomplishing lots, there is still so much to do before Bean arrives. Aaargh! I'm really hoping he doesn't come early.

My cold is almost completely gone but I don't feel I am getting as much sleep as I should because frankly there is little I can do to get comfortable in bed with a watermelon belly. Thankfully I can work from home on some days, take more days of annual leave and just ride it out to the best I can till I start my maternity leave at the end of the month. I do really feel I am now all ready to put work aside and be a full-time mum.

This week also, R and I went to visit K and her beautiful 2-week old baby boy. He's a real sweet-natured and well-behaved baby and I am just so chuffed for his parents! Looking at him just makes me want to be able to hold Bean in my arms as soon as possible!

1 comment:

fefe said...

Whoaaaaaaaaa......round, round belly!! :D