Sunday 16 May 2010

Week 33: Knackered!

On Sunday evening I did something which was so unlike me. I napped. I slept from 6-8pm. Normally I don't take naps because I find that it affects my sleep at night, and even though lots of pregnant women find that snoozing really helps to get them through the day, I have never needed an afternoon kip, until this week.

It has been a busy week. On top of work, I juggled other activities such as attending antenatal classes, supervising wallpapering and travelling a long way to Kent to attend M's wedding over the weekend.

It was wonderful to be a part of M's big day and I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend of catching up with friends but I think the 6-hour journey by public transport to the wedding location on Saturday and then the 4-hour ride back home in our friend's car on Sunday really took it out of me. Especially at this stage of my pregnancy where I am really now finding it a struggle to be mobile.

Somehow, Bean seemed to have dramatically increased in size over a matter of days. R has to hug me from the side where we are standing perpendicular to each other so my bump doesn't get in the way. On some days my groin would hurt so bad that just walking to the corner shop seemed too much for me. I am suddenly finding my bump so big and heavy to carry around.

With him pressing down on my pelvis, I am getting up at least three times a night to wee. Because my belly is now so big, tossing and turning in bed really takes some effort, not to mention that if on top of this he gets restless and decides to kick, punch or squirm, it would then be impossible to really get a decent night's rest. I have on some nights woken up at 4am and could not get back to sleep. Why? I don't know. I guess that is why I get so tired in the day.

Like they say, this could be nature's way of preparing the mother for when the baby arrives and demands milk throughout the night. This last leg of the race is especially difficult to run and now I just can't wait to experience the instant physical relief childbirth will bring.

No comments: